Thursday, December 9, 2010

Some of my propagated coral

Here's a few pictures of some of the corals I propagate:





These pictures are a few months old, but were easy files to pull up. I've changed my setup a little bit since, to try different ideas out. The first picture is of my newest zoanthid I picked up. Think it was called Pink Nebula. It's still healthy looking right now, but hasn't started growing new heads yet. The frag was off a bigger one that is in the display tank, so kind of acts like a coral bank, in case that in the display doesn't do too well.

The second picture I'm not sure what it's called. Was sold to me as SafeCrackers, which they sort of look like, but mine are far brighter orange than the red ones I see online. The camera doesn't do it justice at all, but I haven't been able to find an exact match online. Most of the common names for those zoanthids seem to vary a lot in looks anyways. For now I guess I'll call them Orange Safecrackers.

The third picture is of the Xenia I grow. They grow like weeds, but they basically are the coral version of weeds. These are what I sell the most of to my LFS. Not 100% sure what strain mine were, but they seem to be Pom Pom Xenia and I more or less just cut off the ones that overgrow the display tank. They are great to know if the pH is getting low at night, since they seem to stop pulsing if the pH gets low. I generally have a lot more than that picture, right now probably close to 20 ready frags.

The fourth picture is of the Duncans I have. Another one of those over sized corals from the display that had to be trimmed in half. In hindsight I should have only fragged a quarter of it, and kept a quarter whole to start my own mother colony. They're really healthy and glow green a night. I'm surprised that even the stony stalks have the green glow on it and I wonder how much nutrients it actually gets from the zooxanthella on the stony portions of the Duncan.

I've also got a number of other corals I grow or keep currently. I have a lot of Eagle Eyes but those usually aren't worth posting pictures of since they're so common. Got some Torch and Blue Tubbs with a number of SPS that I'm testing out but having a mixed tank for propagation isn't ideal and I haven't really got the SPS thing down yet. Sort of got side tracked with the fish breeding idea in the meantime.

So yea, that's a quick summary of a few of the corals I try to propagate. They share their space with a Yellow Tang and a 6-Line Wrasse. The same friend that named my Mandarin has also named those two. The Yellow Tang is named Tinky, while the Wrasse is named Dart, both of which were based off how they acted.

No comments:

Post a Comment